Tuesday, February 18, 2014

L-O-V-E

We made these promises we knew we wouldn't keep and yet, we believed.
In the beginning, you made me laugh. You impressed me with your whit which is what drew me to you in the first place. You told me you were "lucky." So lucky in fact you even shed multiple tears in front 
of me to prove it. And I fell for it.

If it weren't for the lessons I learned, the heartbreak I felt, the many times I cried over you, correction, the many times I sobbed over you, I would have considered 2013 a waste of my time. But as the clock ticks and the credits roll on our behalf, I am reminded now, how I should be treated, how I deserve to be treated. Don't get me wrong, nobody is perfect. But I guess you forgot that part when you tore down my confidence with masterful manipulation and placing me at your own disposal. 
Like Taylor Swift you were mean. But like John Mayer I always came back to you when you'd beg me to take you back. 

I was naive and mostly blind, newly seventeen and completely lovestruck. Head over heels. You used to be the person I ran to, the person I told everything to, the man I trusted and ultimately loved.
Look closely, because the key words are used to. You are now a stranger, now an old friend, now the boy I used to care for. 

Through all the fighting, the jealousy, the stupidity, and the hypocrisy I closed the curtains. And what do you do? Beg. 

One more kiss, one more hug, one more chance. Why won't I date you. I guess it doesn't even matter because what do you do when I say no? You slip on your mask, turn on your charm for some other girl seconds later. 

What does this make me? The heartbreak-e? The terrible person for "breaking your heart"? No. I'm the one that got away. And stayed away, because after all that time we made promises we couldn't keep. And in the end, I'm tired of believing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment